2001 Saturn SL2 jerking

MINCE87
  • 2001 SATURN SL2
2001 Saturn SL2 Automatic 184000 miles

I need help on this car. I just bought it and everything seemed ok at first. It jerks front to back pretty roughly when you push on the gas and accelerate. If you're going at a steady speed it won't jerk. After you come to a stop or slow down it jerks! I know the car says I need to change oil soon.I'm wondering if that has any to do with it? Cuz there may not be enough fuel to circulate around. Please help.
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 1:44 PM

SATURNTECH9
No a oil change won't fix your problem. Do you have any code's?
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 1:53 PM
MINCE87
No I don't. I guess I would have to have a diagnosis done on the car to get codes. The service engine light just started to pop up now. So it's getting worst.
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 3:00 PM
SATURNTECH9
Go to a auto part's store like auto zone and have them scan your car for code's let me know what the code number's are write them down. It could be something as simple as plug's and wire's. Do the spark plug wire's look like they have been replaced recently?
Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010 AT 3:48 PM
MINCE87
Ok I will do that. Is it pricey to get the codes? Anyway I will check the spark plug and let you know soon. It's late here to check now. But thanks.I hope and pray it's not a big problem.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 12:12 AM
SATURNTECH9
If you get the codes read at the auto parts store it's free.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 12:22 AM
MINCE87
I checked auto zone they don't check for codes anymore. Havn't done it in 3 years. I have to go to a shop, I called one they said 25 dollars so ill probably have that done and get back to you. I looked at the spark plugs they don't look new. Look like its been there same time as the engine, but i'm not for sure. Is there another way to check? Thanks.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 10:41 AM
SATURNTECH9
You can tell by how worn down the center electrode is and the the gap of the plug. It's supposed to be.040" gap. The plug's get changed every 30,000 mile's if they look like the plug that came with the car then I would change the plug's.I would use a standard ngk plug like the one''s that came with it. Don't use platnuim plug's in that car they carbon foul. If the plug wire's look really old I would change hem too.I would also check and make sure the coil tower's that the wire's attach too aren't corroded if they are then they will have to be replaced or cleaned.I would also change the coolant temp sensor there only 10 make sure you get a brass tipped one the plastic tipped one's crack. Also inspect the connector if it's corroded it will have to be changed too.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 12:30 PM
MINCE87
Ohh ok thank you. My check engine light mysteriously disappeared. I dont know why so I couldn't get the codes.. Anyway I had a mechanic come over. He said its probably transmission he said he may need to just clean it out and that hopefully will stop the jerking because it looks a lil dirty. If not, then my transmission may be bad. Im hoping not.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 1:35 PM
SATURNTECH9
I wouldn't have the transmission flushed just change the fluid it should be changed every 30,000 mile's anyways but changing the fluid isn't going to fix the transmission I have never had a fluid change fix a transmission problem on that model saturn. So did the guy that said he think's it's the transmission come over and test drive the car?Also did you try to get the code's read?Just because the light's not on doesn't mean you don't have code's. Also when it's jerking if you turn the a/c on does the jerking get worse?Also what color is your transmission fluid?
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 2:05 PM
MINCE87
Yes he took the car for a ride. When he came back he told me its transmission because my engine is good. He didnt try to check for codes he said he wouldnt get anything because the engine light was not on. I had the ac on earlier it did seem more frequent when I had it on. The tranny fluid is pinkish. But a lil dirty cuz it had a lil black on it.
Thursday, November 4th, 2010 AT 5:23 PM
SATURNTECH9
The guy is wrong even if the light is off you can still get code's they get stored in the computer's history. You need to get your code's read that could be a good lead of what's going on. If the jerking is worse with the a/c on then it's the engine. When you turn on the a/c it put's a load on the engine not the transmission. If anything it take's power being applied to the transmission away.I wouldn't put to much faith in that guy that came out if he said you can't get any code's unless the light is on because he is totally wrong on that one. Find out what code number's you have and let me know what the number's are.
Friday, November 5th, 2010 AT 12:24 PM
MINCE87
I got the codes. Not good news they are p0734 and p0733. The 4th and third gears are all messed up. :(
Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 1:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here's the good new's most of the time when you get those code's there caused by a bad valve body supplying too low of line pressure in the transmission. That would be a external repair not requiring you to remove the transmission. You would have to get a transmission pressure gauge to test that and then remove the valve body to air check the clutch pack's with compressed air to make sure they hold.
Saturday, November 6th, 2010 AT 10:07 PM
MINCE87
Thank you soo much i'll look into that and let you know the results.I hope its nothing too big.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:24 AM
BABELL2009
Mince87 my car is doing the same. I know how you feel.
Thursday, May 26th, 2016 AT 7:56 PM