1998 Saturn SL2 Overheating

REENEE1
  • 1998 SATURN SL2
My saturn is running hot after 10 miles of driving and the water completely empties from the overflow tank. I am unable to get to the radiator. I have changed the thermostat, water pump and there are no leaks, but somehow the water is always gone. The mechanic has checked all hoses and heads but still the car runs hot. Help please.
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 12:25 PM

SATURNTECH9
So does the car have a leak somewhere?Or does the car overheat and all the coolant boil's out threw the coolant cap. Does your radiator cooling fan come on with the a/c?Let me know the more detail's the better.
Monday, June 7th, 2010 AT 12:35 PM
THEGLOVE
I also have a 2000 Saturn SL2 with the Twin Cam 16 valve engine. It's had a problem with overheating. The cooling fan doesn't come unless the air condition is on. We checked the cooling temp sensor, the car only has one, and the temp gauge works fine so I assume the sensor is fine as well. The coolant also disappears somewhere. We've changed the water pump, thermostat, and checked all the hoses. Water does seem to be leaking from the rear of the engine. Can you please help?
-1
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 4:01 PM
SATURNTECH9

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_2001_sl2_coolant_temp_sensor_location_1.jpg

As far as your 2000 SL2 sounds like you need a new coolant temp sensor.When the coolant temp sensor goes bad it alway's read's too cold so when they go bad the temp gauge still work's it just never turn's the fan on when it should and the car over heat's.Replace the coolant temp make sure you get a brass tipped one the plastic tipped one's crack.You will loose coolant also inspect the connector to it if it's corroded you will have to replace that as well.They usually turn green or blue when they corrod.As far the coolant leak goes replace the coolant cap when they over heat they blow the cap.Also see if you can rent a coolant pressure tester so you can find the leak by your intake manifold.Also on that model it's pretty common for the intake manifold gasket to leak coolant around the number 4 cylinder close to where the egr valve is.So what's going on with your 1998 SL2 you never got back to me on the question's I asked you about it.
+1
Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 5:09 PM
THEGLOVE
You said the intake manifold gasket is common to leak; would that cause bad compression? Because the car has been running real rough and cutting out. I checked compression in cylinder four and it was low.

The car also seems to be burning oil. Have to add a quart every now and again. Could all of this be the same problem?
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 12:51 AM
SATURNTECH9
The intake leaking wouldn't cause low compression. Also burning oil is a different problem from low compression.
What was the compression reading on number 4cyl?How much oil does it burn in 2,000 mile's?
-1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 1:31 AM
THEGLOVE
I forgot the exact number it's been a few months ago, we haven't driven the car since, I know it was about 5-10 under.

It would usually burn about a quart or two every 2,000 miles.
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 9:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
5-10psi differnce isn't that much your allowed up to 10 percent from highest to lowest. If you have atleast 175 psi in a cylinder that would be enough for that cylinder to run smooth.I would recheck all the compression's I'm the cylinder's and let me know what they are. It might not be compression causing the rough running. As far as the one quart in 2,000 mile's that is within spec for oil burning on that car. You could also add Lucas oil stablizer to the oil to slow the oil burning down.
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 10:31 AM