1998 Saturn SL2 Car Stalling at Idle

GOAVSROY33
  • 1998 SATURN SL2
1998 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Automatic 216000 miles

My car stalls at idol whenever the coolant temp gets about 1/4th of the way up. We replaced the coolant temp sensor, but it still stalls out. We replaced the EGR valve, but it still stalls. It does not sputter when it stalls, it just cuts out. I have no idea what it could be.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 7:08 PM

SATURNTECH9
First of all thank u for ur donation. Does ur car idle at all when it warms up or does it just keep dieing?Any codes?Let me know.
Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 11:05 PM
GOAVSROY33
It only idles when it warms up. The coolant temp sensor gets a forth of the way up, and then the car stalls while idling. And there are no codes. The check engine light does not come on at all.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 5:43 AM
SATURNTECH9

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/416332_iac_pic_1.jpg

when u changed the coolant temp sensor did u inspect the coolant temp sensor connector?if not check that out and if its corroded then replace the connector.i would try taking off the idle air control motor its diagram number 7 on the diagram i posted also clean out the hole it goes in real good the hole passes thru the bottom of the throttle body opening u will see the hole if u look into the opening of the throttle.use some carb spray.let me know what u find.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 1:32 PM
GOAVSROY33
Well, we replaced the idle air valve completely, and it still stalled. And I did not check the coolant temp sensor when I changed it. But I am going to just take it to a Saturn mechanic tomorrow. I have had enough of trying to deal with it. I will post what they did to fix it for people to use for later use.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 6:08 PM
SATURNTECH9
When it stalls does it start right back up or do u have to wait for a little while for it to start back up?Just curous and iam still thinking about whats wrong with ur car. Let me know because if it does start right back up and u have to wait for it to start back up u could have a bad crankshaft sensor.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 9:30 PM
GOAVSROY33
I have to wait a little while for it to start back up. It seems like it just ha to cool off some and then it will start back up
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 9:31 PM
SATURNTECH9
Iam sorry I didn't know that it start right back up that's why I was thinking a idle problem and having u clean ur iac. Sounds like it could be ur crankshaft sensor there under 20 and easy to change u just have to Jack up the car and crawl under it it's under the starter. So when it dies and won't start pull off two spark plug wires off ur coils that are right next to each other and have someone crank over the engine and see if u can see a spark jump from post to post. Unless u have the extra cash to spend at the dealer they will Charge u a half hour to a hour for diagnoses and another half hour to a hour to replace the sensor plus like 40-70 for the sensor itself if that what it is. And labor rates are like 80-100 per hr. Let me know just trying to save u some money in this tough times were having.
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 9:56 PM
GOAVSROY33
Well, I am going to get my neighbor to replace the crankshaft sensor today. I purchesed it yesterday, but was not able to get under the engine to replace it. I will let you know how it goes.
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 1:50 PM
SATURNTECH9
So did u find no spark the next time it died and wouldn't restart?If u did I would have checked the ohm
value of the sensor before I replaced it. But if u want to try a new one that's up too. Let me know how it goes.
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM
GOAVSROY33
I have not checked to see if there is a spark or not. I will get him to check that tonight too if the crankshaft sensor does not work.
When I was talking to him about the problem, he said there could be a problem with the idle air intake motor, with it being clogged. Could that do it?
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 2:56 PM
SATURNTECH9
U didn't clean the iac port out when u replaced the idle air control motor?It being clogged shouldn't cause it to not start when it warms up. That sounds like u said something getting hot and having to cool down before it starts like ur crankshaft postion sensor.1998-2002 Saturn s model cars had a problem with those sensors. Let me know how u make out with the whole crankshaft sensor.
Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 3:35 PM
GOAVSROY33
We replaced the crankshaft sensor, and we could tell from when we started it that is was better. It didnt crank up so high with rpms, and then we let it sit at idle for 15 minutes, and it got above operational temp, and it ran fine. No stalling. And we drove it around some, and no stalling. So it is fixed!
Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 9:54 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear u got it fixed that's what were here for. Thanks again for ur donation hope u use us again for ur future car questions. Also thanks for using 2carpros.
Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 10:34 PM