2002 Saturn SL1 Car will not start when engine temp gauge I

CHAR1969
  • 2002 SATURN SL1
Car will start fine when cold, but when dash temp gauge reaches halfway mark or above and car is shut off it will not start again for a period of 1/2 hour to 1 hour.

Car will just "click" when not starting. Was told that it is either my "coil pack" or my "solenoid". Is this correct and how can I tell which one is causing the problem?

Also is this something that should be taken to a garage to have fixed or could someone with a bit of knowledge do this?
Friday, August 21st, 2009 AT 9:19 PM

Hello, if your saying the starter won't even crank when the problem occurs, I'd make sure the battery has a full charge and all battery connections are clean and tight on both ends. You might also check the starter field terminal, when the problem occurs. It attaches to lower part of solenoid and goes into the starter motor housing. That circuit should be hot, with key in the crank position.
Saturday, August 22nd, 2009 AT 2:07 PM