1996 Saturn SL1 problems with Saturn

• 1996 SATURN SL1

1996 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 111111 miles

We have the following problems with our Saturn.
1. The car won't start and it's intermitten
2. There is a squeel from one of the belts when the car starts.
3. There is a leak of raditor fluid around the thermosrtae.
4. We were told by a local mechanic that the head gasket was gone but there is no leakage of raditor fluid into the engine and no white smoke coming from the tail pipe.
5. The alternator and battery have been replaced with rebuilt parts.
6. When a new battery was installed trying to start the car drained the battery.

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 10:31 AM

Wow u have alot of stuff rolled into one question. First lets start with starting how often doesnt it start?When it doesnt start will the engine spin over at all I need more description that one. Any trouble codes if u havent checked on that one please check and if there some get back to me with them. Second that squel from the belts when starting could be a weak belt tenisor.U can take a wrench and push down on it and see if it feels weak. Also u can turn the a/c on and see if the squeling becomes worse. Third on the coolant u will have to see if thats comming from the thermostate housing lower hose or that little bypass hose below it. Fourth ur head gasket I dont know why they said that u will have to ask them why its not common for the head gaskets to leak unless u stress the engine or one of the head bolts break.I have seen alot of heads crack in the number fourth cam journal on ur car though. But when that happens u get oil in ur coolant bottle and sometimes water in coolant in ur engine oil. On the sixth part of ur question was the battery just drained from trying to start the car for so long?Let me know.

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 12:45 PM