1994 SATURN -- MILD TO MODERATE SMOKING AFTER ENGINE WARMS

• wscreate
  • 1994 Saturn

1994 Saturn SC
1.9l engine, DOHC
161,000 miles
Automatic Trans.

I have recently noticed that the car begins mild to moderate smoking from the tail pipe after it idles for about 5 minutes or more. I believe this issue has existed for some time, it is not a new issue.

The car does not smoke, or smokes very little (barely noticeable) after first starting. The smoking seems to take place only after it has heated up a bit after idling for about 5 minutes or more.

I have also noticed black, oily liquid spray under the tail pipe after the car has idled for awhile and I rev the engine gently to about 2500 rpm.

It has been suggested to me that this year Saturn has a tendency to leak at the valve seals. However, I am not too familiar with Saturns and I am only a back-yard mechanic, so I am wondering what your first impressions might be considering the symptoms I have described.

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 10:03 AM