2001 Saturn L200 Saturn L200 hard shifting when fans come o

SOLION
  • 2001 SATURN L200
Okay I have a Saturn L200 with the 2.2 4cyl, 156k miles on it, Never had any problems until recently.

I can tell exactly when the problem is going to happen. Both fans on the radiator/AC come on and are at 100% balls to the wall running. If in drive it hard shifts like crasy as if I am in some sort of limp mode. I can hand shift it and get stopped somewhere safe.

Now if I restart the car 2 or three times, the fans will on one of those trys will turn off and everything is fine, smooth shifting, the same perfectly good car as I have allways known and will drive normally for a week perfectly. Then WHAM, it does it again and I have to go through the routine of limping to a stop somewhere.

I got nothing, I have gone through the wiring harness, I hope to hell it isnt a BCM mayby a TPS? Has anyone heard of this?
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 7:19 PM

SATURNTECH9
First of thank u so much for ur donation.I have heard of this go get ur transmission scanned for codes and bring th codes back to me so I can see if Iam right. Let me know what u find.
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 8:58 PM
SOLION
Absolutely no codes, not a single one. I did clean the battery terminals so I may have erased what was there. But even before then there was nothing there, no check engine light ever comes on
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 9:07 PM
SATURNTECH9
Here's the thing I don't know if the generic code reader can read transmission codes I know they can read engine codes iam not sure if they can read transmission codes and all there codes.I have worked for Saturn dealers over 16yrs and have only used the tech1 and tech2 scanners with factory software and they read air bag body control module steering and any other controlers. So I have been spoiled lol so iam new to generic scanners all the auto parts stores and do it urselfers use I know there limted to there capibilites I know for sure 1996 obd2 and up it will read the engine codes but really unsure about the transmission codes I will check into that. Also the code iam looking for is a information flag not a hard code so u could have the code without the light ever comming on. What iam thinking is going on with ur car is u have a bad line pressure solindo causing ur hard shifting real common for ur model but I want to see that code so I can say u can start by changing that solindo and check ur transmission fluid for debris. Let me know what u find. Maybe u can get a transmission shop to give u a free code scan call around.
+1
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 10:43 AM
SOLION
Okay replaced the TPS today aaaaannnd drum roll please

Wow that changed things, over the past few weeks I have been super sensitive to every shift point and sound the car makes. One of the alternate problems was a random high idle at stop lights. SO changed the TPS and what happened.

A) Transmission shifting is 15% smoother. Downshifts are normal.
B) more power, She moves like she should. Throttle is more responsive.
C) High Idle issues are completely gone.

As for (D) transmission hard shifts /limp mode/fans at 100% this will take time, but if we are good over the next couple of weeks Ill say it is fixed. Replacing the TPS (30.00 at Autozone) made a real and tangible difference.

Apparently the TPS can confuse the PCM and cause the car to go into a limp mode. It is scary as hell and does not throw a proper code for it. People have dropped their trannys to put in new pressure solenoids, only to have the problem crop back up.

Overall, If you are having the "fans on high/ hard shift" issue. Id say change your TPS (only 30.00 and easy as hell to replace) and see if if things get better. Overall since this problem does not throw a code ( or a proper one) it coulden't hurt. And could save you a trip to the tranny shop.

I will update here if the problem persists with hard shifting. Or at least post if the problem has gone away for a minimum of 2 weeks
+1
Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 3:13 PM
SATURNTECH9
The tps on those rarely go bad I have seen very few of them go bad and when they did they set a code for it but if it works for u then great. So ur still getting the hard shifts and the fans full speed?Let me know.
Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 11:19 AM
SOLION
So far so good, none of the other problems I was having such as the high idle have shown up. The transmission problem was an intermittent one, so we are in wait and see mode, So far so good.
Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 2:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
Alright we will play it by ear but if ur trAnsmission starts hard shifting again.I want u too have the transmission scanned for codes. Another thing that makes hard shifts I have seen on those models but not as common as the solindos is the inlet air temperture sensor or the wiring to the connector. Well let me know what happens. Thank again fir the donation hope u use us again for future questions. Also thanks for using 2carspro.
Sunday, April 18th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM
SOLION
Well it has been 2 weeks and not a single hiccup or problem since I replaced the TPS

Bonus is that gas milage has gone up as well.
Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 10:24 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear ur car is still shifting good. That was wild that it didn't set a code and had a bad tps. Let me know if anything comes up with the hard shifting again.
Thursday, April 29th, 2010 AT 11:52 PM
PETRUS4
Hey there, I seem to have a similar problem. Did you do any tests on your old TPS to see if it was defective? (With a voltmeter testing for dead spots.)

Also has the hard shifting come back at all?
Saturday, May 22nd, 2010 AT 10:24 AM