2006 Saturn Ion won't start

BOBMSR
  • 2006 SATURN ION
I have lights, radio all heaterblowers work, lights do not dim won't start won't start with a jump either
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 5:06 AM

Do you mean it cranks and will not start or won't crank at all/nothing-

No Crank:

Your possible causes could be the ignition switch, park and neutral switch, starter relay, and starter itself

Cranks but will not start-could be a fuel or spark problem: Do below

Get a starting fluid or ether and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
-2
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 5:57 AM
BOBMSR
The car does nothing no crank, no dimming of lights, won't start with a jump turn the key nothing, did it a few days ago it started with a jump acted fine for a week came out of work hit the key click nothing lights did not dim all other electrical works
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 6:23 AM
VOUGHTCE
I bet this only happens in the cold weather right? My wife has one of these and we go to Jersey every Christmas and it happens everytime. What it is, is the grease inside the ignition switch freezes and doesn't conduct electricity. You can have the ignition replaced, but it may happen again depending on the weather. If you do, make sure you get it greased with a very low temp freezing point grease. If you want to just get around the problem in the winter, use a blow dryer or something to give the ignition some heat.

As far as the sensor goes, I have not heard of that, but cannot rule it out either.
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 11:56 AM