Runs for a while then once shut off wont start for a couple hrs

LAHAMMOND
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Hello I have an 87 ford f150 with the 302 5.0 motor I have tried everything replace the started battery distributer distributer mogul gas line fuel filter plugs wires. Im so lost and dont have the money to send to the shop. The truck will run for anywhere from 20 to an hr but as soon as it dies or gets shut off will not restart for a couple hrs and after trying to start it I smell a lot of gas like its getting flooded. I thought maybe something was over heating but I dont know what if anyone could plz point me into the right direction as to where to go now it would surly be appreciated thank you for your time
Sunday, July 28th, 2013 AT 1:03 AM

Sounds like no spark, may be a faulty coil or a crank or cam angle sensor, often when faulty when they heat up they can shut down and start working again when cool, look into this first.

IGNITION MODULES ARE NOTORIOUS FOR GOING BAD (DISTRIBUTOR MODULE)

EVEN BRAND NEW RIGHT OFF OF THE SHELF!

HAVE YOURS TESTED 5 TO 8 TIMES IN A ROW IF IT FAILS ONCE REPLACE IT

BEFORE YOU WALK OUT THE DOOR WITH THE NEW ONE. TURN RIGHT AROUND AND TEST IT TOO!

I'VE EVEN GONE AS FAR AS GOING TO ANOTHER STORE TO GET A DIFFERENT BRAND

INSURE YOU USE THE "HEAT SYNC GREASE" SMEARED ON THE BACK SIDE OF IT SO THAT THE HEAT WILL DISSIPATE THRU THE DISTRIBUTOR BODY

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS, WHILE IT IS RUNNING SORTA MOVE WIRES AROUND. ESPECIALLY AT THE DISTRIBUTOR AREA. YOU MAY HAVE A BROKEN WIRE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE NOT BUNDLED AND TIES UP WELL AND WERE ALLOWED TO FLOP AROUND

ALSO. WHEN IT IS IN THE "NO START MODE". SHOOT A 2 SECOND BURST OF STARTER FLUID INTO THE THROTTLE BODY. IF IT STARTS OR EVEN ATTEMPTS TO START EVEN FOR SECONDS (BETTER THAN BEFORE)
MAYBE YOU HAVE A FUEL ISSUE. MAYBE THE FUEL PUMP IS NOT WORKING

LEMME KNOW IF ANY OF THIS HELPS

Sunday, July 28th, 2013 AT 4:34 AM
LAHAMMOND
Thank you guys so much I will have this checked today but if it doesnt work I will be backon either way to let you know what happens again thank you I was so lost
Sunday, July 28th, 2013 AT 5:40 AM
LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES

Monday, July 29th, 2013 AT 8:24 PM