2003 Rover 25 Buzzing noise between 35 and 65 mph

GARAGEGIRL72
  • 2003 ROVER 25
Noises problem
2003 Rover 25 Manual 27000 miles

Bought 2nd hand a year ago with 7000 miles on the clock; last month at MOT noticed 3 tyres very badly worn (alloy wheels). Just after the MOT and before tyres were replaced, a loud buzzing sound suddenly started as I was going 50mph or over. Quieted right down at 65 to 70mph. Initially sounded like coming from passenger side dash but moves around the front passenger side.
Replaced the three worn tyres at garage yesterday, mentioned the noise and they said prob alignment and it would be ok after the tyres were fitted and the wheels balanced.
Today the buzzing noise started at 30mph, goes away below 30 and gets louder above 30. Sounds like a very loud and very angry wasp. I haven't driven faster than 40 today so don't know if it goes at higher speeds. Will be taking it back to the garage because of this but wonder if it sounds dangerous or expensive?
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 12:39 PM

DAVE H
Have the wheel bearings checked !
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 6:54 PM