Rotor wear

PAUL BILLIET
  • 1996 FORD F-250

I recently had a front rotor wear all the way on the inside but the outside looks good. So I change the rotor and caliper thinking the killer was the problem now my rotor will not hardly turn the new one rugs on the caliper mounting bracket. What could be my problem?

Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 AT 1:49 PM

Given the multiple symptoms, I would expect to find the caliper mount is damaged. Ford always used to have a big problem with rapid inner pad wear due to a very poor caliper mounting design that made it nearly impossible for calipers to slide as the pads wore down. Your truck uses the more trouble-free mounting pin design, but the worn inner pad indicates that was not occurring. Those pins must be inspected any time the caliper is removed. If they are bent, or the chrome plating has lifted, the pins must be replaced. They also must be lubricated with a special high-temperature brake grease. That is one of many steps often overlooked by do-it-yourselfers.

Your additional observation of the rotor rubbing on the mounting bracket could be caused by a bent bracket, or you have the wrong rotor. Normally the bracket is no longer available from Ford after three or four years, then it becomes a salvage yard item. In this case a new bracket is available with a new caliper from some aftermarket suppliers. That suggests there is a common need for replacements.

Also, look on the bracket where the metal backing plates of the pads rest on. There must be no grooves worn into it. Those grooves can cause one of the pads to stick and not apply under light braking pressure, and it can cause a pad to not release right away. Those mounting surfaces must also be lubricated with the special brake grease. On some applications there stainless steel inserts that sit on the mounting surfaces. If your truck does not use them, there are inserts available to make up for the wear so you do not have to replace the entire mount.

Have you measured the diameter and offset of the old and new rotors, and compared them? Can you see exactly where the rubbing is occurring? If the rubbing only occurs during part of a full wheel revolution, suspect there is a piece of rust or scale stuck between the rotor and the hub. This only applies to the four wheel drive slide-on rotors.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 AT 2:22 PM