Reverse lights

CARMADBOB
  • 2005 FORD RANGER
  • TURBO
Reverse lights do not work. Checked fuse and bulbs both okay. I have checked voltage at the bulbs connectors and have get twelve volts when reverse is selected but the bulbs still do not work. I am baffled, can anyone help?
Thanks,
Bob
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 12:01 AM

Leave the bulbs in their sockets, then check for voltage on both terminals. If the twelve volts is gone, I will explain why a test light would be more accurate than a voltmeter. If you find twelve volts on both terminals, the ground circuit is open. Look for a cut wire, rusted ground connection on the body, or the ground wire is corroded off the socket.
+1
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 12:10 AM
CARMADBOB
Cannot access the connection at the back of the bulb holder's have already checked for broken or damaged cables nothing found continuity on both cables okay.
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 12:55 AM
Cannot diagnose it without voltage measurements. Perhaps you can poke your test probe alongside the wires where they go into the socket. I assume you have the newer 3157 bulb with the flat plastic base. There is usually enough of the wire terminals exposed to allow readings to be taken right on the base of the bulb. For the older 1157s and 1156s, the round brass base was the ground terminal, and enough of that was exposed to allow readings to be taken. Those also had a common problem with the center terminal in the socket getting hot, and the plastic insulator would melt, then the terminal would sink away from the bulb and lose contact. Adding a drop of solder to the terminal on the bottom of the bulb often solved that.
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 1:11 AM
CARMADBOB
Thanks you for your reply I think we have the older type of bulb holder's so I Will try your suggestions as soon as I can.
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 1:37 AM
KEN
Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 3:14 PM