Turn signal socket

KELLI STANDISH
  • 2003 SATURN ION
My right front turn signal light does not flash. It turns on when the lights are on, but will not flash when the indicator signal is turned on the steering column.

I pulled out the headlight casing, and noted blackening on the indicator light base, charring on the connectors, and blackening down inside the bulb socket as well. I think in order to fix this, I need to replace both the socket and the bulb.

I ordered a replacement socket, but cannot figure out how to get the bulb socket disconnected from the wiring. There is a red lever on the right side that is removable. Maybe it is a lack of hand strength, but I just cannot get them apart.

Any tips on how to do this?
Saturday, July 1st, 2017 AT 4:18 PM

KEN

Good find on the problem, a new unit should fix it, take a pair of pliers and grab the red tab and pull it out of there completely, don't worry about putting it back in you wont need it. The red piece is just a safety clip that makes it so the connector cannot be removed. The connector will be just fine without it.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Monday, July 3rd, 2017 AT 1:46 PM
KELLI STANDISH
Ken,
Thanks so much for the tips! Got it done and the indicator is once again working!
Kelli
Monday, July 3rd, 2017 AT 5:33 PM
SATURNTECH9
Has the recall been done on that car for the front running lights?They added a resistor to lessen the current to those bulbs if that hasn't been done then it will happen again.
+1
Monday, July 3rd, 2017 AT 8:21 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Monday, July 3rd, 2017 AT 10:06 PM
KELLI STANDISH
SaturnTech9,
I took it to a GM/Saturn dealer and specifically referenced this, because I'd read about that recall. But they entered my VIN number and told me my car wasn't listed by the manufacturer as being eligible for it.
As of this evening, the right front indicator light has gone out again (GROAN), so my next step is to take it to a mechanic with more electrical skills than me, so they can trace the wiring from the headlight to the steering column and look for groundings, shorts, etc.

Kelli
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 AT 7:38 PM
SATURNTECH9
I have seen the harnesses inside the headlight casplue fail on those aside from the sockets those are the two most common issues I have seen with those. Whats your full vin number?
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 AT 7:50 PM
KELLI STANDISH
SaturnTech9,
I ran my VIN through the NHTSA site, and confirmed there are no *active* recalls.

But the indicator/running light recall absolutely comes up for my year, make, and model from the recall in 2004: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2003/SATURN/ION/4%252520DR#recalls

So I may print this out and go right back to that GM/Saturn Dealer and see if I can... motivate :)

Kelli
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 AT 8:11 PM
SATURNTECH9
Can you take some clear pictures where the headlight fits in and post it?So I can see if that resistor is there.
Thursday, July 6th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM