REPLACED ALTERNATOR, CAR HESITATES, DIES, ODOMETER GOES CRAZY

1998 Honda Civic

debbiestroup

September, 30, 2013 AT 7:54 AM

I had the alternaor replaced, speedometer stopped working suddently (needle just dropped), that alternaor was bad, then car wouldn't start, had it replaced again. Then next day it actted like it didn't want to go when I accelerated, then it kept dying, had to jump it but it would immedicately die. Mechanic told me to replace alternaor fuse, which I did ( a couple of times) had battery put on charger, replaced alternator fuse with a 30 amp. Mechanic said it was wires touching. Next day car was hesitating when I accelorated, but it didn't die, it eventually kicked in, but the odometer ( which hadn't been working) went crazy, the needle jumped all the way around past 120mph. Yesterday it hesitated a little bit but not as bad. I have noticed that the odomer only works when I am having this problem with the car, otherwise it doesn't work at all. Any ideas as to what it could be?

Odometer Stopped

Speeodmeter And Odometer

hmac300

September, 30, 2013 AT 9:33 AM

Scan for codes it may be a bad speed sensor or wires melted there

debbiestroup

September, 30, 2013 AT 11:20 AM

The mechanic said he checked the speed sensor. What do you mean scan for codes?

hmac300

September, 30, 2013 AT 11:58 AM

I fyour service light is on then take to an auto parts they do it for free.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement