Radio

AL514
  • 2005 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hello guys, I was just wondering about replacing the radio in my car. I have heard it requires removing the dash, but I am thinking there is an easier way of course. I have yet to research it, but I figured I would throw the question out there real quick. Thanks guys.
Thursday, July 21st, 2016 AT 1:44 PM

You have not heard the entire story. GM got mad because people like me were taking away too much of their lucrative repair business so they stopped allowing us to buy radio service manuals after the 1994 model year. Then you were stuck with one of their two grossly over-priced repair centers. A radio / cassette player could cost $450.00 to have repaired. Instead, since they had a one hundred percent failure rate of their CD laser assemblies throughout the 1990's, most people with CD players went to places like Best Buy and just bought a better radio for much lower cost.

Again, to combat the lost repair revenue, the engineers built the Body Computer into the radio so you can'not remove it from the car. If you do, you will lose various functions like the turn signal click, door chime, cruise control, and possibly the power windows. In response to yet another of GM's extensive customer-unfriendly business practices, the aftermarket industry has come up with "radio relocation kits" for GM cars and trucks. Those allow you to mount the original radio in the trunk to keep the Body Computer functionality, and you snip the speaker wires to connect to the new radio.

Be aware too that beginning with some 2002 trucks, the radio / Body Computer is the master computer. When you turn on the ignition switch, the Body Computer tells all the dozens of other computers to turn on. Those trucks will be dead if the radio is removed. Worse yet, another of GM's devious plans to separate you from more of your money after the sale is on their scanners used at the dealership is a drop-down menu with the selection to "Lock" the computers. If a frustrated mechanic presses "Lock", you will never know it, until the day comes that you need to replace the radio. All the other computers that require coding to the VIN number will also have to be replaced and the software will have to be downloaded into each one. That can take days. A 2005 model would likely be considered "not worth repair" because the radio failed. The "Lock" function can not be undone. That makes all those computers worthless to a salvage yard so you cannot buy a used one when you need it. You must go to the dealer and buy a new one and pay them to program it to your vehicle.

Are you sure you want to risk trying to replace a radio that still works?
Thursday, July 21st, 2016 AT 2:57 PM