Radiator electric cooling fan not running

SILKROCKY
  • 1989 BUICK CENTURY
50/50 antifreeze solution gets so hot that it boils out of the radiator. The dash gauge warning light is not illuminated. No fault codes are present. When the B terminal is shorted to ground only code 12 is present. When shorted the electric fan will run. I have replaced the radiator cooling sensor. Will a thermostat stuck in the closed position cause the fan to stop working. What steps can I take to energize the fan THANKS
Sunday, May 12th, 2013 AT 4:41 PM

I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT YOUR RIG

I WAS ABLE TO OBTAIN A DIAGRAM OF THE COOLING FAN SYSTEM FOR YOU

YOU FAILED TO GIVE ME BETTER INFO ON YOUR VEHICLE

I SELECTED "1989 CENTURY LIMITED" IN "MITCHELL I"

THIS GAVE ME 4 DIAGRAMS DEPENDING ON ENGINE SIZE AND TYPE OF COOLING SYSTEM

YOU WILL HAVE TO PICK THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR RIG

1) 2.5L VIN R

2) 2.8L VIN W

3) 3.3L VIN N HEAVY DUTY COOLING

4) 3.3L VIN N WITHOUT HEAVY DUTY COOLING

THESE ARE USUALLY PRETTY GOOD DIAGRAMS, AND MOST LIST THE LOCATIONS OF THE STUFF

LOOK THEM OVER WELL, SURELY IT'S A FUSE, RELAY, OR SOMETHING HOPEFULLY SIMPLE

IT IS DOUBTFUL THE THERMOSTAT IS PLAYING A PART IN FAN NOT COMING ON,

HOWEVER IF YOU ARE NOT UP TO SNUFF WITH YOUR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE.......SEE WHEN THE THERMOSTAT SHOULDA BEEN CHANGED (TIME OR MILES)........ALONG WITH "CATCHING UP" ON EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAS BEEN NEGLECTED OVER TIME....SEE THIS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

IT'S SORTA YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO DO, OR HAVE THIS STUFF DONE........."JOE THE MECHANIC" NORMALLY DOES NOT KEEP UP WITH YOUR "SCHEDULE"........HE MAY BE GOOD, AND DO YOUR REQUESTS FOR MAINTENANCE.............IN THE END, "NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE, LIKE YOU DO!!!"

A LOT OF THE STUFF WE SEE MIGHT BE BE EZ TO DIAGNOSE OR FOUND FASTER, ............BUT SINCE PEOPLE DON'T KEEP WITH THE SCHEDULE, WHEN IT GETS TO US, WE GOTTA RULE OUT THE SIMPLE STUFF, BY MAKING THEM "CATCH UP"

SOMETIMES IT SEEMS WE ARE "GUESSING" AND "SUGGESTING" SPENDING $$$ TO RULE THIS STUFF OUT.................BUT HECK!.....THIS IS STUFF THAT WE NORMALLY "ASSUME" HAS BEEN DONE.....AND WE "ASSUME" THAT WE ARE FIXING AN "OUT OF THE ORDINARY" GLITCH

IT'S FRUSTRATING ON BOTH ENDS AS WE CANNOT SEE WHAT'S GOING ON OR HOW DISCIPLINED OUR CLIENTS ARE

EXAMPLE: "THE BATTERY IS GOOD".................NORMALLY THAT MEANS "THE BATTERY WAS GOOD!"..............AFTER ALMOST GETTING INTO A SQUABBLE, MANY RESPONSES, LOTS OF TESTING, AND DAYS LATER ..........THEY ACTUALLY TAKE THE BATTERY TO AN AUTO PARTS STORE, HAVE IT TESTED.......FIND OUT IT WAS BAD........THAT WAS THE WHOLE PROBLEM!!!

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS

GOOD LUCK!

Sunday, May 12th, 2013 AT 5:29 PM