Prepping for painting

PCULQUI
  • 1999 BUICK REGAL
I have a few small rust spots on my vehicle. If prep them (wash the car then sand out the rust and apply filler). Can I drive the car like this and then on a later date paint the rust spots? How about if it rains or snows?
Sunday, August 25th, 2019 AT 12:08 PM

BMDOUBLE
It all depends on the amount of rust, also if you do it later you will have issues blending the color from new to old. You can just do a temporary repair and primer the rust spots then do your full repair and paint it at that time, would be the best option. If there is any rust at all under the filler, you will be making things worse down the road when it comes time to do a final repair! I had to do that on my old Toyota 4Runner because the body man that my cousin hired did just that and several body panels had to be cut out.
Monday, August 26th, 2019 AT 8:36 AM
PCULQUI
So I can clean and sand out the rust, let's say today and paint it next week as long as it doesn't rain a lot?
Monday, August 26th, 2019 AT 10:09 AM
BMDOUBLE
Sure, just throw some primer on it.
Monday, August 26th, 2019 AT 11:53 AM
PCULQUI
My car has a connector hanging from the front of the vehicle, right below the fog lights. Is the connector for the fog lights or the left turn switch. My left turn switch, when it's not working properly, it either flashes very fast when ignited or it just stays lit as a solid light. My fog lights don't turn on at all.
Tuesday, August 27th, 2019 AT 8:20 AM
KEN
Please start a new question here, you must be logged in.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, August 29th, 2019 AT 11:41 AM