Power steering pump

MFYUMYUM
  • 2007 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Put a new power steering pump on when you first crank car steering is easy after that gets very hard to turn wheel
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 12:30 PM

Maybe the problem is the rack and pinion and not the power steering pump? Usually when you replace the power steering pump, the info says to flush the system, get the old fluid out of it. In the past I have taken return line loose from the pump, aim the return line into container, rotate the pump pulley by hand to circulate the old fluid out. When the fluid runs clear, the old fluid is gone. I guess the new fluid is clear and not colored? That will also show you that there is circulation. If no circulation, maybe power steering hoses have a problem? I haven't looked up your power steering pump operation. If the info I posted isn't applicable, I'll find more info.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 12:54 PM
Just to add, you have to keep adding fluid when you flush it. The hi pressure hose is usually a threaded fitting, the return line is usually low pressure and uses a hose clamp.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 12:59 PM
MFYUMYUM
When you first crank car steering is easy after a couple right and left turns gets hard to turn
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 1:00 PM
MFYUMYUM
Driving down road steers fine sitting in park gets hard to turn
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 AT 1:36 PM
KEN
There is a speed sensor located in the steering column or the rear of the pump that has gone bad, this sensor tells the steering system how much pressure to release at a particular speed. Please check it out and get back to us so it can help others
Monday, March 7th, 2016 AT 3:37 PM