Power locks, radio shut off, power trunk opener and power garage door opener in visor not working properly

LINCOLN T
  • 1999 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
The power lock toggle switch on arm rest and power trunk button on door do not work. The shutoff for the radio when keys are removed and door is opened also do not work. The garage door opener (located in the visor) will not work unless the keys are in the ignition, and the aftermarket auto starter key fob will still start the car and open the trunk. However it will now unlock the drivers door only (not the other 3 doors) and it no longer will lock the car remotely. All items were working perfectly a week ago. Is it possibly a master fuse that is faulty? A computer chip that needs re-programming? Has anyone else run across this same scenario? Thanks in advance for your response. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 AT 7:53 AM

Since this is not factory auto start, have key fob tested to see if it 's any good, auto parts can do this if not that then go to where it was installed to have it tested or a repair place that does those. Also check fuses in car and relays underhood as well as in car
Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 AT 7:57 AM
LINCOLN T
Thank you for the prompt reply. There are actually two key fob (one is a spare), and I tested both with the same results. Which made me think it was more to do with the car itself. I'll check the fuses and relays underhood as you suggested. Thanks again!
Tuesday, March 1st, 2016 AT 8:21 AM
KEN
How did things turn out?
Monday, March 7th, 2016 AT 5:13 PM
LINCOLN T
Well, happy to report the entire situation has finally been resolved! I took the aftermarket key fobs back to the company that installed them to inquire about reprogramming, and they stated if the automatic locks, trunk latch, etc. Weren't working when using the buttons located on the door, that reprogramming the fobs wouldn't correct that situation. So I took the car to a guy who specializes in auto electronics, and he did diagnostic work. About twenty minutes into the job, he said "I'm going to have to take the driver side door panel off", which he did. At that point he said, "this is your lucky day." He pointed out to me what had happened was the clip containing the wiring had slipped out of the driver's door module. It was just partially out at a slight angle, which would explain why some things worked for a while and then quit working a few days later. I also then had the aftermarket company reprogram the key fobs because the trunk latch wasn't working when using them. Reprogramming corrected that trunk latch situation, but also uncovered that during the original installation of the aftermarket auto starter they had not properly grounded the wiring. It actually had a 12V wire going to the trunk latch, which would explain why I received a shock on a couple occasions when using the trunk button located on the car door. The automatic trunk latch now only works from the key fobs so they think that wiring might have fried the actual button/switch located on the driver's door. But the good new is all items are working once again, and I appreciate all of the advice shared. Thank you!
Friday, March 11th, 2016 AT 6:32 AM
KEN
You are so welcome! Please use 2Carpros. Com anytime and tell a friend :-)
Friday, March 11th, 2016 AT 7:17 AM
The installers of the aftermarket alarm are sometimes not too good which proves the fact due to the problems you had at least it's fixed.
Friday, March 11th, 2016 AT 7:43 AM