Poor acceleration when first starting Focus 1.6 zetec automatic

KMAFFEY
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS

For the last month, my car has had absolutely no power when it first starts up - if I put my foot on the accelerator it 'phuts along at 5-10 m.P.H. - Making occasional 'popping' noises.
If I sit for about 10 minutes with the engine running, it will marginally improve, though if I put my foot down too hard on the accelerator, the engine screams in protest. If I take it out of 'drive' and put it down to 2nd, it sounds as though I'm changing up (if it was a manual, I guess).
After about a mile or so, it will pick up a bit and I can put it in to drive again, though if I stop at a junction, it is dangerously sluggish as I pull away.
It occasionally behaves sluggishly when I am overtaking and occasionally screams in protest if I put my put down for the same reason.
I know it's an old car but it had a new engine fitted in 2006, so am hoping it's not something major. My mechanic has tried to fix it but is now at a loss to know what is wrong.

Monday, September 30th, 2013 AT 7:54 AM

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure first. Check intake vacuum if 15" or below suspect clogged converter.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 8:58 AM