2002 Pontiac Sunfire Broken Bolt leads to claims of hole in

CGREENE26
  • 2002 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
2002 Pontiac Sunfire Automatic

I ran up on a curb and broke one the bolts that holds my transmission pan. I attempted to use a drill and an extractor. When I began frustrated I was told by a shade tree mechanic that the bolt was probably slanted. The extractor didn't seem to work, so he decided to drill a hole next to the slanted bolt to eat out the slanted bolt. He said he got some of the old bolt, but some remained. He ended up using what seemed to be a bigger bolt in the end. Shortly after the "repair" I was still experiencing a leak-about 1/4 tranny fluid in 24 hours. I took the car to two different places that told me the shade tree mechanic drilled a hole in my transmission housing. After the last shop NO transmission fluid will stay in. I am suspecting the last shop may have done 1 or some of the following: 1) over tightened the bolts or 2) warped my tranny pan while replacing the gasket

The last shop is saying I need a new transmission, but how can that be when it was running when a brought it to them? How can I check for a hole in my transmission in the one corner that had the broken bolt? I am thinking if I replace the gasket and get new tranny pan, perhaps all will be well. BUT why was that one corner where the shade mech drilled leaking? Did he drill a hole that was too big?
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 8:14 PM

STEVEW84
Yeah, he probably messed it up while drilling it.
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 8:22 PM