1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE CRANKS BUT DOESNT CATCH

• ChildOfPortugal
  • 1998 Pontiac Sunfire

1998 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Automatic 115000 miles

Ive charged the battery, replaced the starter, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil & oil filter, fuel pressure regulator, checked the fuses.

I had the alarm system taken out after it was mangled (someone cutting wires half hazardly to shut it off) and locked the engine up. Since then it cranks but wont start.

I was told its either an electrical problem (car ran smoothly, no noises, smells, hestitations that I noticed) or something to do with the fuel system. Im hesitant to buy anything more for the car and have it not be the problem BUT the car was sitting for about a year after it broke down so I know there could be complications just from that fact alone.

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM

• rasmataz

If its not being caused by the secuirty system-Do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, If you can hear the fuel pump come On- check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester designed for your fuel system to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pick-up strainer/fuel pump/pressure regulator and also listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light and see if it flashing, If you don't hear the fuel pump, check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay-Depends on what type ignition system is yours, No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply to your vehicle disregard it meaning if it doesn't come with one ignore it and continue testing

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 1:39 AM
  • ChildOfPortugal

I took it to a mechanic who is going to charge me 150 dollars for repairing a bent crank shaft that was touching thestarter and causing problems. A mechanically inclined friend said this isnt possible because of the plaement of both pieces.

Is it possible that the crank shaft could bend to touch the starter and cause signifigent problems to keep the car from starting?

Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 9:43 AM
  • rasmataz

What exactly is the vehicle doing-is it cranking over and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing? I gave you something earlier did you do it?

Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 AT 9:48 AM