Passenger window will not go up/down

SWEET_MAMA
  • PONTIAC MONTANA
I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana 3.4L. The Passenger side window has stopped operating. Neither switch (driver side or passenger side) will work. When I press the switch down I hear nothing. When I lift it up, as to put the window up, I hear a sound like it is trying to work. I took the motor to a napa store. The guy put it on the battery and said he got it to turn both ways. He said something about a relay. I would like to fix this myself and would like some help troubleshooting. Can you help?
Friday, August 31st, 2007 AT 10:48 AM

JACK42
Just because it worked on the bench doesnt mean it can work under load. If the switch is supplying power in both directions (up and down) then it could very well be the motor. With the motor installed can you physically move the window up and down? If so be sure the regulator isnt broken.
-2
Saturday, September 1st, 2007 AT 8:30 AM
SWEET_MAMA
Thanks for your reply. The regulater is confirmed in working order. The motor is operable down when hooked up to the switch. However it is not working when the switch is pushed down(to put the window up). Neither switch will cause the motor to go down. The switch on the passenger side is giving a reading on a meter. Have not checked the driver side. Am I getting close to assume the switch on the driver side is the bad one?
+1
Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 AT 8:04 PM
JACK42
Im a little confused. Is the passenger side switch giving power in both directions? If not test the drivers side switch in both directions. Windows going down but not up if the switches are giving power both directions means the motor is probably too weak to raise the window even if it works on a bench
+3
Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 AT 7:32 AM
SWEET_MAMA
Sorry for the confusion. The both switches only have power to put the window up. No power for putting the window down.
Hope this clears things up.
Wednesday, September 5th, 2007 AT 7:38 PM
JACK42
As long as the main switch doesnt work, the secondary (p/s) switch wont work, it is a system that starts in the d/s switch, Try replacing it first and see if it gives the p/s switch power in the up position
+1
Thursday, September 6th, 2007 AT 7:29 AM
KB42
My 97 has same problem, I replaced the motor, as when I examined it the brushes in the motor literally fell out. Cost $65.00 to replace. However the problem is with the driver side switch.
There are NO relays involved, it does not use relays.
Here is what is wrong. The driver side switch is dirty. You can try to replace it either with a new or salvaged one. Don't try to take it apart, you will break the knobs off if you do.
Reason it is the switch. The drivers side switches are the master switches. When you push it forward to cause window to go down, it sends power to the passenger side switch, and then to the motor. If the passenger tries to put the window up when the driver is trying to put it down, then the window stops, and loses power. This is to prevent blowing the circuit breaker. Like a 2 way switch in your home, you can turn the light on and the other person can turn the light off, and you can fight each other but it never blows the fuse in your house.
What happens is the contacts in the switch get dirty so when the switch is at rest, it is supposed to supply power to the passenger switch, but if the contacts fail, then you get the result that you can either raise or lower the window but not both.
The only other scenario is a broken wire where it passes thru the door, to the vehicle can break. You can usually tell this by opening up the door, activate the window and wiggle the harness in the rubber boot where it passes between door and frame.
In my 97 the problem was with the driver side switch however, I could pull out the switch, and wiggle the connector going into the switch and it would cure it. I ended up having to replace the switch to fix it. I tried to spray it with contact spray but it didn't work. Your results however may vary.
If you can manage to get the switch apart without destroying it, you might be able to repair it.
GM did use harness with plugs on the 97 and above and those plugs could or might also be a problem.
Pull yank and wiggle wires also you might find the broken wire and be able to splice it back to fix the problem.
+2
Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 12:18 AM
SWEET_MAMA
Thanks for the response, and details. Very helpful. I had gotten a swtch on Friday from the local dealer, went out and switched it out in the lot. That simple. And it did fix the problem.
-1
Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 7:37 AM