1998 Pontiac Montana Going Dead

BLS0766
  • 1998 PONTIAC MONTANA
I just replaced the battery and altenator in my van and now the van wont turn over. It died the other night engine and all electrical power at the same time.
Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 4:40 PM

Now that you replaced the battery and alternator what is it doing-refusing to start or what?
Sunday, August 23rd, 2009 AT 6:58 PM
BLS0766
It is refusing to start. I replaced the starter today and it is still doing the same thing. The starter will engage but will not turn the motor over. Pontiac tells me there is no security system to stop it. I'm at a loss.
Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 7:30 PM
If the starter is engaging the engine and its not turning the engine over-the starter overrunning clutch is slipping-double check the battery connections to include the starter side and make sure the battery has an open voltage of 12.5 volts and higher-How's the battery cables conditions? Could be a voltage drop problem.
Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM
BLS0766
The cables are in good condition and the battery is showing 13.2 volts.
Monday, August 24th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
It is refusing to start. I replaced the starter today and it is still doing the same thing.

If you saying its cranking over and refuses to start do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 AT 12:25 AM