2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Overheating

06GRNGP
  • 2006 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I've replaced the water pump, coolant temp. Sensor, thermostat, flushed the radiator, will radiator with 50/50 coolant to water. Still over heats. No noises or leaks. Gauge goes to hot within 2 miles or approx 10 minutes of running. A/C shuts off and car has turned off due to over heating. What could be the solution? I'm trying to prevent the costly trip to the dealership.
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 10:28 PM

FACTORYJACK
It may not require a trip to the dealership, but if the vehicle has been severly overheated due to a concern that may have been addressed, it might have developed an internal leak(crack/headgasket). Has the cooling fans been noticed as being on, are they trying to bring the temperature in range. The next step would be to have the cooling system tested for the presence of combustion gases. This can be done with a gas analyzer, or a chemical that is offered as a block system test. The gas analyzer is more accurate, as it is the most sensitive. A shop would be suggested to get you an answer on this.
Friday, January 29th, 2010 AT 11:23 PM
06GRNGP
Thanks for the options. I've actually fixed the problem. The thermostat that I replaced about a month ago, was defective. The thermostat would not open when 195 degrees was reached. Auto Zone is going to issue me a refund for this. I purchased a ACDelco from the local dealership and it works great.
It was suggested by a salesman at an auto parts to run the motor without the thermostat to verify that the thermostat was working or not. After I removed the thermostat, the engine ran lower than normal temps. Thank God that this problem is now resolved.
+3
Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 7:19 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
We are glad to hear you were able to fix the problem. We appreciate your donation and hope we can help you the next time you need us.
+1
Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 6:30 PM