2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Overheats only while idling

BRANDONOHERN
  • 2005 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My 2005 3.8 v6 Grand prix overheats while idle. No problem when the care is in motion. Even if temp gets to red, I can start driving and it cools down instantly. I have not noticed any coolant leaks yet. I watched the fans and they are pulling air through the radiator, when I turn the AC on it does not seem to increase any airflow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be? Or any other troubleshooting I should do?
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 10:15 PM

FACTORYJACK
What about not moving, and just increasing the engine speed? The only thing motion is doing is intruducing ram air through the radiator. I have not seen one, but it could be a logical symptom of a water pump that is not flowing adequately. Is this happening after something else had been done to the car, or just come on all of a sudden? Is this overheat occurring with only the A/C on, or does it overheat at idle with A/C off? You say you have not noticed any coolant leaks, but make no mention of coolant level, I would have to assume it has been checked and is full, with adequate coolant concentration.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
BRANDONOHERN
Just idling is all I have tried. As soon as it started to heat up it, I took off down the road to cool it off. This came on all of a sudden no new work. It heats up even with AC off. The coolant level was a little low at my last oil change but nothing significant. That was before this occured.
+2
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 9:12 PM
FACTORYJACK
Try raising the speed stationary, if it cools it down, it may be a water flow problem. The cooling fans should have at least two speeds, and should speed up when it starts getting hot, I am not sure of the temp breakpoint. With a temp gun, you might be able to spot cool areas of the radiator, perhaps there is restricted flow. How quickly does it overheat at an idle?
+1
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 10:16 PM