2001 Pontiac Grand Prix problems on hot/warm startup?

LBSCOOB20
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
My '01 Grand Prix (191,400 mi) has had a slight problem for quite some time now that seems to happen predominantly on re-start. If I park it for anywhere from 10 minutes to 4 hours or so, it always seems to have problems at ignition. The engine will roll over fine and even start up. The rpm's will go up but then the rpm's drop down and it's typically low enough that the engine typically shuts off. If I give it a little gas after ignition then I can usually avoid the shut-off. Recently, however, the problem has worsened significantly to the point that the re-start sometimes takes 4 or 5 seconds before ignition. Oddly enough. If the car sits for 1/2 a day or overnight or even over the weekend, the 1st startup is always great.

I had a tune-up about 17,000 miles ago but at the time the problem was manageable enough that I didn't get them to take a look at this. Actually I just forgot altogether.

Any ideas?
Thursday, December 31st, 2009 AT 2:31 PM

MMPRINCE4000
Do you have a check engine light?
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 8:01 AM