2001 Pontiac Grand Prix hard steering

REGGIS
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Sometimes when I slow down to a craw or stop then turn my steering wheel is very hard to turn and don't know why.
Monday, September 8th, 2008 AT 9:12 PM

KEVIN12881
This is deffenetly your power steering. Does it make a squicky noise? Check for fluid 1st, and fill if low
-1
Monday, September 8th, 2008 AT 9:17 PM
REGGIS
No noise and fluid level is full.
+3
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008 AT 9:02 PM
KEVIN12881
Thes are the most common probles listed in haynes book. 1. Insufficient oil in pump. 2. Clogged hoses or oil filter in pump. 3. Loose pully 4. Worn or improperly adjusted drivebelt 5. Defective pump. Check your pully and belt. See if there is any grit in fluid. I do not think the pump would go bad with less than 100k miles, but it could happen
-1
Wednesday, September 10th, 2008 AT 8:45 PM
INTHESAMEBOAT
You need a new rack. I have had this problem for years. I bought it back in 2003 and about a year later the problem started and gradually got worse. I have had it checked by a few mechanics and they all said the same thing. Whatever you do, don't get the dealer to do it, they will charge you way too much. I think the prices I got was about $550 - $600, I dont remember exactly. I just deal with it cause my car isn't gonna last too much longer and I have had so many other problems with it besides that and can't afford to do everything.

It is like you mentioned. Steers fine while going faster (although it doesn't as good as it did) then when you're slow, you have to pull on the wheel real hard to turn it. I find that when that happens, sometimes I just turn the opposite direction the quickly the way I need and sometimes the power assist kicks in.
+1
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 2:16 PM