2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Brakes are knocking

THETAXI61
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
When turining and braking quickly at the same time I can feel a knocking in the brake pedal and I hear a loud repetitive clicking sound. I can not tell which side the car is causing the sound. I also feel a slight resistance in the brakie pedal, which seemed to be very easy to press in the past. Can you help diagnose this for me?
Friday, May 22nd, 2009 AT 12:43 AM

JLBDALLASTEX
I am just a 2000 Grand Prix owner (not a mechanic), but wanted to share my experience. It only happened once but I managed to cause the anti-lock brake system to kick in under hard braking in a construction zone where there were loose gravel scattered on the road. It was a very fast repetitive clicking sound and I could feel some slight vibration in the brake pedal. Perhaps it is something to do with the ABS system?

Also given your mileage, I would guess having brakes checked. The pads may simply need to be replaced. Even if you have already replaced them once before, you have enough mileage it is a conceivable possibility.

Any brake repair shop should take 5 minutes and look at them for free to tell you (at least I know Midas will). If it is just pads needed should be about $100. The thing to be aware of is that if the pads are worn to the point that a metal part is touching the brake rotor, dont wait to get new pads on it or the cost goes up dramatically.

If only a small issue, they can "machine" the rotors which means scape them smooth again (like sanding them smooth to remove any scrapes but done by a machine). If it is a serious issue, they may suggest replacing the rotors and this gets expensive so dont let the issue continue.

. One cheerful and cheap suggestion: check the brake fluid level. It may just need $1 worth of fluid added; perhaps it is low and gravity is causing it because of the turning.
Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 11:21 AM
THETAXI61
Thanks for the tip!
Sunday, May 24th, 2009 AT 5:49 PM