WON'T SHIFT OUT OF PARK.

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

rosedd43

November, 26, 2007 AT 4:42 PM

I have a 01 pontiac grand prix. Just started to not shift out of park after I have started it. I press on the brake and move the steering wheel and it won't budge. When I click on the button on the floor shifter, (automatic) I hear a click up in the steering column and I can almost feel the click noise on the column.

Car starts normally, runs normally just can get it out of Park. Did it intermediately several times now won't shift at all.

Any help would be appreciated. Phil D.

November, 26, 2007 AT 4:53 PM

Have the shift interlock system check-could be the shift lock solenoid that you're hearing

rosedd43

November, 26, 2007 AT 7:15 PM

Want to thank you. We will check your suggestion out. We went to check the car out where it was left and pushed the shift lock release and we have the car home.

Had gone to the dealer earlier today where we got the car and had asked if there was anyway to get the car out of park and home so we could look at it and the machanics said no we would have to have it towed to the garage.

So you can't always trust a dealer it seems.

November, 26, 2007 AT 9:57 PM

Don't blame you-some people are just all about the Benjamins $$$$. No heart

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions