2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Torque Converter Switch

HONIBEE74
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8L with 135,000 miles. I recently had it hooked to a diagnostic machine that gave me a code that says " torque converter switch stuck on". Can you tell me what part I need to replace, if it's located on the inside or outside of the transmission and if the entire torque converter needs to be replaced. The car bucks or jerks when I drive for a while. It happens when I'm at a complete stop and then start accellerate or if I slow down to make a turn and begin to accellerate again.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 9:07 AM

You must be talking about the TCC solenoid-its in the transmission within the valve body which is the brain of the tranny.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 9:43 AM
HONIBEE74
Does that mean my transmission is going?

You must be talking about the TCC solenoid-its in the transmission within the valve body which is the brain of the tranny.[/Quote:b38bde411d]
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 9:59 AM
Not necessarily-you could have it change and see what happens-keyword for the problem " Stuck On "
It's not a DIY thing-unless you know something about removal/installation of transmissions etc-to get there fast otherwise it needs to go in.

You must be talking about the TCC solenoid-its in the transmission within the valve body which is the brain of the tranny.[/Quote:c9ce0fc7ba][/quote:c9ce0fc7ba]
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 10:10 AM
HONIBEE74
So. It could be a couple things like sensors or an electrical issue? The guy I brought it from said it did have some sensor problems. I asked if the transmission needed to be replaced. He said no.

Does the jerking/bucking mean anything in particular?

Also, I got an diagnostic code of P0420 "Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold" I had the oxygen senor replaced, but the code came up again when engine light came back on. Does that mean the sensor was not replaced or does it take time for the computer to recognize that it was replaced?

You must be talking about the TCC solenoid-its in the transmission within the valve body which is the brain of the tranny.[/Quote:7ab33d45cf][/quote:7ab33d45cf][/quote:7ab33d45cf]
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 11:30 AM
You must be talking about the TCC solenoid-its in the transmission within the valve body which is the brain of the tranny.[/Quote:f723ec0213][/quote:f723ec0213][/quote:f723ec0213][/quote:f723ec0213]
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 12:37 PM