2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Auto headlights and heater blower

CFAW10
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1L, 138000 miles---I have an intermittant electrical problem. At times the automatic headlights (not the daytime running lights) and the heater blower will stop working simultaneously and I can hear a faint clicking under the dash. I can turn the headlights on manually and they work, but the blower still won't run. When they decide to start working, they come back on together. All other electrical systems work fine. Could the blower relay/resistor be causing this problem? Any other ideas?
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 9:12 PM

CFAW10
I searched under the dash and found that when I switch on the fan control, the daytime running light module is clicking. I unplugged the module, cleaned the connections and plugged it back in. Now when the fan is switched off, the automatic headlights are working. With the fan switch in positions 1-4, neither the auto lights, or the fan works; and with the fan switch in pos. 5, both the fan and headlights work. I'm going to replace the blower relay/ resistor and see what happens.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 12:10 PM
CFAW10
OK. I replaced the blower resistor and relay, but still have the same problem. Auto headlights work with fan switch off, headlights and fan works with swich on high, but neither work with fan switch on 1-4.
Suggestions?
+1
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 3:18 PM
CFAW10
After 2 days I've still not recieved a reply. I did, however, isolate the problem. It really was one of those "who'da thunk it"! (For a refund, I'll be glad to share what I found).
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 2:03 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi cfaw10,

I would like to apologize for not providing an answer to your question and would inform the administrators to refund you.

Thank you.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 8:25 AM
CFAW10
Thanks.
After much searching with a test light and wiring diagram I finally found a common hot wire coming from the ignition switch to the fuse bank the feeds the drl module fuse and the blower fuse. The ignition switch was bad. That one contact was breaking only when a load was applied from the heater motor.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 9:15 AM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input. It is much appreciated.

I have informed the administrators and they would attend to your refund when they come online.

Thank you.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 10:22 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
Thank you for considering us for a donation. We are sorry that we were unable to assist you and will glady refund your donation.
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 2:11 PM