1999 Pontiac Grand Prix had intake manifold gasket replaced

• 1 POST

1999 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 91,000 miles

Had the intake manifold gasket replaced, told was a pinhole allowing coolant onto sparkplugs and oil into coolant. $700 repair, had the car 1 week, mileage showed additional 495 miles. Mechanic said had the car up on rack with wheels up trying to blow white smoke away. Then car dies, dipstick is dry, tow back to mechanic, he says no oil. We wait a week, call him, says is oil. Comes up with bad connector rod bearings 1, 3 and 5. Wants $1700 to fix. Whole story seems bizarre. I told him don't have it and am not sure motor isn't blown? If so why replace bearings. I have to tow car home. BAR comes and inspects says bad invoicing and claims can't say for sure if he caused damage or what damage there is, because that part is now in pieces, nuts & bolts and screws in oil pan with connector rods, looks like manifold pieces also. All this mess is sitting in truck

Saturday, April 17th, 2010 AT 6:18 PM

I'm lost. Was there oil in the engine when you left him? As far as nuts, bolts, and screws in the oil pan, were they there when he removed the pan>

Honestlu, I'm not sure what to think, There would have been no reason for the oil pan to be removed when the head gasket was being worked on. THe oil would have needed drained due to contamination of oil and cooland.

How low was the oil when you checked it?

Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 AT 10:30 AM