1997 Pontiac Grand Prix On my daughter's car, the service e

CANDY44
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
The low coolant and service engine light keeps coming on my daughter's 97 grand prix. The car is a salvaged/damaged car that was rebuilt. (If that matters) The auto mechanic said the computer says its a possible egr valve that is making the light come on, but then it goes off. The low coolant light is doing the same, even thought it has coolant. Also the car has a heads up display and a picture of a battery will come and go on the heads up display. It is strange. It has a new battery. My question is. IF it is an egr valve, will it leave her stranded, or just affect the gas mileage? Also, if there is coolant in the reservior and radiator, will the car still over heat and ruin the engine? I don't know how long she will have this car so I don't want to spend a ton of money on it isn't a huge deal. I realize it has a lot of miles on it, and was salvaged, but all in all it runs very well. I just don't want her to be stranded. Thanks so much.
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 11:18 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

First the Low Coolant Light - There is a sensor in the overflow tank that will turn on if the coolant isn't at the full level. Try adding coolant to full mark and see what happens. I f is at full mark then most likely the sensor is going bad.

Now the EGR, do you remember the code, it will be a "P" followed by 4 numbers. If don't remember code go by your local parts store and ask them to pull codes for you and write them down and post here. Will be able to give better info with exact code problem.

.
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 11:32 PM