1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Left Front Turn Signal - Not workin

UPMM019
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
On my 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GT - the left front turn signal does not work.

The right signal, front and back works. I hear the flasher working.

The left rear signal works but it flashes fast. I hear the flasher working.

I've checked all of the blubs and they are good. I took the front headlamp assembly out of the left and plugged it into the right and all blubs worked.

I took the left front headlamp assembly and checked all of the wires for continuity and did not find any faults.

The front left signal lamp is not entirely out. The lower element for drive lights works.

however, the actual signal part does not.

The driver of the car does say at times, the left signal works correctly. However, most of the time it does not work.

I did notice that if I have the front right headlamp assembly unplugged and I turn on the right blinker it blinks fast like the left. The dash right blinker lights up and blinks fast.

However, on the left with the front headlamp assembly unplugged and the left blinker on it blinks fast in the rear lamp but the dash signal does not light at all.

However, when the left does work, per the driver, the dash signal does light.

I have no clue where to begin to trouble shoot this issue.
Saturday, September 5th, 2009 AT 6:48 AM

The quick flashing indicates the circuit is open (bad bulb). Make sure the connectors are clean and tight on the bulb. Also, with a test light or volt meter, make sure the socket is getting power. It could be a bad socket. Check the wiring where it enters the socket.

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 10:48 AM
UPMM019
I've checked all of that.

I took the left front headlamp assembly and connected it to the right side and all function correctly when the right blinker is turned on.

So I think the socket is good and I know the bulbs are too.

I've checked all of the wiring that is close to the front left headlamp assembly and found good grounds, etc.

I still have no clue where to go next.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 12:40 PM
The only thing you can do is continue following the wiring. If the rear works, there has to be a break in the wiring to the front.

I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but if the rear is getting power, the switch is good. There must be a break in the wiring.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 1:19 PM
UPMM019
Yeah, it's been driving me crazy.

The one thing I forgot to mention is it does work sometimes, rarely.

I've not been able to pinpoint what condition needs to exist for it to work.

That said. Either it's a short for that particular wire or there is something bad in the multifunction switch at the column.

In regards to tracing it back. Is it fair to say that if I have my tester hooked to a good ground and then I touch the hot side wire that is sending the blinking signal that my test lamp should blink?

The socket has three wires. One is the ground and the other one is the driving lamp low element and then the other is the signal lamp, high element.

I probed around on the right that works and could never get my test light to blink. I could always get it to light if I was going with the ground and the driving lamp low element wire. However, If I switched to the other wire it did nothing. However, the right turn signal works.

This may be elementry work but I've never done it before so am learning as I go.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 AT 1:27 PM