1981 Pontiac Grand Prix fuel filter/pump

SANDYPED
  • 1981 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
1981 Pontiac Grand Prix V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

my car won't turn over. Could it need just a new fuel filter? If so where is it? Is it right up against the carb or under the car
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 2:54 PM

Hi, thanks for the donation, my info shows it is in the fuel line, next to carb. Are you saying it cranks good but won't start, or it won't even crank?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_81_pontiac_fuel_filter_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_fuel_filter_picture_1.jpg

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 3:17 PM
SANDYPED
Yes it does crank, it just is not getting fuel. Can't even smell it.
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 AT 4:41 PM
You may be headed in the right direction. If you open the choke and look down throttle-bore while working the accelerator, can you see gas squirt? If not, possible problem with fuel pump-- filter--maybe you need to put a carb kit in it.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 8:58 AM
SANDYPED
Nope, no squirting anything. Except for my patience. Whatever that means. LOL
Anyway, I am thinking do the pump first then if that doesn't fix it THEN the carb. Correct?

You guys are great! What a great service you offer!
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 10:11 AM
We try to help. You might take the fuel supply line loose from the carb, aim into proper container, Have helper crank engine, see if any gas comes out. I can usually get a rubber fuel line over the flare on a steel line. If no gas comes out, I'd have to check mechanical fuel pump. You might smell of crankcase oil dipstick, if smells like gas, I'd definitely change the fuel pump. Oil and filter, also.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 12:10 PM