Various Issues 2001 Pontiac Grand Am

MABEL7682
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM
My vehicle has a 2.4L 4cyl automatic trans. Engine. I have about 106,000 miles on it and over the course of the last year and a half I've had some issues come up. I'm trying to save as much money as possible and still maintain the car. Here are the problems. The ABS light is on along with the Service Vehicle soon all the time. I don't know what this means. What do I need to fix and do I need to fix it?

Also, my power locks have been failing. They don't lock or unlock with I push the button or they work intermittently.

My engine is getting louder when I'm accelerating or just driving at a steady speed, it's fairly quiet however, when i'm idling like at a traffic light or in park.

When I'm driving, it sounds sometimes like my blinker is on and is blinking fast however my blinkers always work when I need them and none of my lights are out. Quite a few questions but none of the mechanics I go to seem to know whats wrong.

Thanks for any advice or help I can get. :D
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 2:56 PM

SERVICE WRITER
The abs issue and service vehicle soon are possibly related. You need to have the code numbers checked to get started on it. In the meantime, you ABS will not function.

Are the doors locks intermittant also when using the keychain FOB, the drivers master switch and the passenger switch as well.

When the clciking is heard that sounds like the blinker, is the blinker actually on?

Sounds like you may have an exhaust leak as one possiblility. Would you describe the noise as a roar perhaps? Does the noise hange if your turning or verring one way or the other?
Saturday, September 15th, 2007 AT 5:03 PM
DANO302
I have a 2000 grand am, and had a very similar problem with my blinkers, and seems like a lot of others had the same problem. I removed the blinker/winshield wiper switch and cleaned it with electronics cleaner as advised by someone who had the same problem. There are gears that are greased, and the grease seeped into switch levers, coating some of the electronic components in there causing it to malfunction. I thoroughly sprayed the cleaner into the blinker/wiper unit through all the openings I could find, let it sit and dry overnight, and put it back in. That fixed the problem for me. Make sure you only use ELECTRONICS CLEANER. Anything else will ruin it. It's not really that hard to remove the switch. You need a special star shaped screw driver to remove three bolts that hold the plastic cover together behind the steering wheel, there are three bolts underneath-facing up. Once removed, the cover can be separated into 2 pieces and removed (top and bottom). There should then be one bolt - centered on the top - holding the blinker/wiper unit in. Remove that bolt, and electrical connectors need to be carefully removed as well. Lift the unit straight up to remove. Handle the unit with care. Clean thoroughly with the electronics cleaner by spraying as much as you can inside and letting it drain out. Let it dry overnight - the cleaner is very flamable. Only cost me about 5 dollars for the cleaner. Would have cost much more to bring to the dealership. Good luck
Sunday, September 23rd, 2007 AT 10:46 AM