Grand Am brakes

SPEAGS
  • PONTIAC GRAND AM
98 grand am GT. When braking only the front brakes engage. We bled the brakes and no fluid reaches the back brakes. I tried punching the brakes hard a few times, I heard there is a divider that sometimes sticks. No luck. My local mechanic worked on it for a while and had no success. He flet he couldn't do anything else, but suggested possibly replacing the main braking block on the top of the motor (brake module?). I don't want to simply start putting on parts without any advice. Where should I start?
Thursday, September 13th, 2007 AT 5:51 PM

SERVICE WRITER
This is really odd. The system links the l/f and R/R and th L/R and the r/f wheels. Not front and rear.

Pull the drums and see if the piston moves on the wheel cylinders when the pedal is pressed. VERY EASY OR IT WILL BLOW OUT THE WHEEL CYLINDERS WHEN THE DRUM IS OFF. We just want to see if there is movement hydrolically. I am more inclined to think the shoes are not adjusted out far enough.
Thursday, September 13th, 2007 AT 9:15 PM
SPEAGS
I did check the wheel cylinders and they don't move at all. With no fluid reaching the back I don't think adjusting the shoes will help. Any other thoughts?
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 12:45 AM
SERVICE WRITER
Good, at least we know that. Had to start somewhere. And your right about the adjustment.

I think What I would try next is to follow the lines back to the abs module, pick one of the rear lines, have someone apply pressure to the pedal, then start opening that line up at the module and see if fluid comes out. IF not, check each line going into the module in the same manner. IF it is going in and not coming out, it would appear to be a bad module.
Friday, September 14th, 2007 AT 5:55 AM