CHECK ENGINE LIGHT/1996 PONTIAC GRND AM/3.1L

• Jeff.m
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM

My grand am's check engine light came on the other day and has stayed on. The car isn't running rough. All fluids are good. Don't really understand what the problem is. Is it ok to drive?The car has 225 000km's. Can u help?

Thursday, January 4th, 2007 AT 8:55 PM

• Backyardmechanic

The check engine light is telling you that there is a problem with the engine mangagement system. Sometimes the problem does not effect engine performance to the point that you can notice it. However there is a problem and you need to correct it. You will not be able to pass inspection with the light on.

Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 3:31 PM
  • Jeff.m

Well I found my problem. There was a leak in my gas line just above the gas tank. Apparently there's a plastic line there. The mechanic. Got us a new 1 for $40. He said the line looked like it had melted. Either way the line was replaced. No labour.(Bonus). Had diagnostic. Total charge 126. With tax. He said the sencer pick up pressure loss in the gas tank. And anothersencer pick up the fumes. The check engine light will go out when everthing is fixed. The sencer's pick this up. Anyway's thanks for your help.I'll probably see you in the future. Thxs

Friday, January 5th, 2007 AT 8:06 PM