99 Grand Am problems

GOTALOVEMYGRANDAM
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I have this wonderful car.(Sometimes) well, the check engine soon light went on? Code was for cylinder 1. Changed spark plugs. Now car is making funny noise.. And yes the car overheats. Too. Finding out that's normal. But I drove it on a trip it ran fine didn't even overheat. Come back home to Redding, ca. Where its hot and it starts to act up. Go figure. Well what do you think is going on with my car. I have changed water pump, thermostat, coolant resivor and cap. Which helped for a while. NOW what? :(
Tuesday, September 11th, 2007 AT 1:46 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Overheating is not normal.
Are you losing any coolant?

Define funny noise.
Tuesday, September 11th, 2007 AT 8:47 PM
GOTALOVEMYGRANDAM
Yes it does overheat. Have to add water or coolant requalarly. Not to worried about that part. The funny noise. Sound like it is coming from the alternator. Its a taping sound but its not my valves. We just changed the spark plugs. But now the service engine light is blinking. So I am not driving it. Due to reading owners manual say that could cause more problems. But after changing the plugs car now runs slugish.
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 11:43 AM
SERVICE WRITER
I would be very concerned about the over heating.
Year and engine size would be nice.
The flashing means damage is being done to the coverter.

Was it running fine before the plugs were changed?

What did the plugs look like?

Not sure on the noise, the 3.1s sometimes have a tap to them.
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 2:32 PM
GOTALOVEMYGRANDAM
It is a 99 grand am. With a 3400sfi engine. Yes it does overheat sometimes but I always make sure it has coolant in it. Like I said it didnt overheat once on the road trip. Before the service engine light when on it was running but it wasnt as slugish as it is now. It was not making a taping noise at all. It had a squeal that I believe was coming from the power stering pump. The code for the service engine light said cyclinder 1 misfiring.
Thursday, September 13th, 2007 AT 2:44 PM
GOTALOVEMYGRANDAM
The plugs looked fine. Wernt oil ie or no ash. Just looked like normal plugs needing to be changed.
Thursday, September 13th, 2007 AT 2:47 PM
SERVICE WRITER
3400 motor? You should be very concerned about the overheating, these are verycommon for intake manifold gasket leaks. I have seen them kill a motor when ignored.
Thursday, September 13th, 2007 AT 3:37 PM