96 Grand Am engine trouble

FARMBOY5582
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Hey thanks for any help you can give in advance. Ok I have a 96 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4 cylinder automatic with about 120,000 miles on it that will not start. It will turn over fine but will never start. I checked the plugs and I am getting fire, I cracked the fuel intake line at the motor and I am getting fuel to the motor when you turn the key switch on and the fuel pump turns on. I disconnected one of the fuel injector plugs and checked to see if I was getting a good ground and I was. I tried to see if I was getting power to my injectors and I was not but I am not sure if they pulse so fast I would get a signal on my fluke meter. I checked the air flow and I get plenty out the exhaust. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would help.

Zach
Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 AT 6:47 PM

SERVICE WRITER
How did the plugs look?

Can you get a fuel pressure gauge to find out the real fuel pressure spec is?

2.4?
Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 AT 6:57 PM
FARMBOY5582
The plugs did not look great but they were sparking when I grounded them to the chassis. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge all I could tell you is that it did have a pretty good flow when I cracked the fuel line. Do you think maybe it could be a clogged fuel filter or bad plugs? The fuel pump is only about 3 months old and the spark plugs are old but wouldn t they fire at least every once in awhile even though they are old. Not sure of engine size will get it for you ASAP.

Zach
Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 AT 8:06 PM
SERVICE WRITER
What I mean about the plugs are:
How is the gap compared to spec, Were they black and sooty, white, dry, wet with fuel?

The fuel pump pressure is critical, if it isn't in spec, it isn't good. This you have to verify. What brand pump?

The filter should have been replaced when the pump was done. HOw old is it? The plugs should be firing consistently and strong. If there is any question about them, replace them. I would use autolites, and go by the correct application.
Thursday, June 7th, 2007 AT 5:10 AM
FARMBOY5582
Ok I changed my spark plugs with new ones and gaped them to spec but it did not help at all. My fuel pressure was about 40 PSI I got a friend to check it for me and my fuel filter was changed the same time as my fuel pump. I talked to some of the workers at the auto parts store and they suggested that it could be a security issue or maybe a crank position sensor but not sure what they were talking about. If it was a security issue my car would not crank at all would it and I have no idea what the crank position sensor is. Also my car is the 2.4L and I did not mention it but my car was running the day before it did not start hope that helps a little more.

Zach
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 4:20 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Fuel pump pressure needs to be 41-48 psi.
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 6:17 PM
TBDK
Coiuld be futile but I thought I'd drop my opinion. Sounds like the pressure for fuel may be lil low. But thats not what I think. Check the timeing. Make sure the plugs are firing when the fuel is in there. Even with the crankshaft position sensor acting up it SHOULD fire. I just replaced mine. I was getting bad mileage and was back firing. I would go ahead and make sure your timing is good.
Saturday, June 9th, 2007 AT 10:09 AM