2003 Pontiac Grand Am Doesnt start

KEISHA BROWN
  • 2003 PONTIAC GRAND AM
2003 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I always have trouble starting my car, I wont start when I try to crank it, it will turn over but it wont start. I've been having to unhook my positive batterie cable then wait for about an hour and then when I hook it back it will start like nothing ever was wrong with it. What do you think my problem is? About 3 months ago I had to have my computer restarted it was kind of simular but at that time my car would make any sound.
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 AT 5:46 PM

MMPRINCE4000
During one of these no start conditions, spray some starting fluid in throttle body, if engine runs a few seconds, then problem is fuel. If not then most likely ignition.

Do you have a security light flashing?

I would suspect the PCM, new PCM's have to be "flashed" by the dealer or trusted garage.
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 8:52 AM
KEISHA BROWN
So I would have to take apart items to get to the throttle boby? Am I able to buy the starter fluid at an auto store?
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 12:09 PM
MMPRINCE4000
Yes you would have to remove the intake air tube to spray starting fluid in intake.

This is a diagnostic aid, to isolate fuel problems from ignition.
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 5:19 PM
KEISHA BROWN
No sercuirty light is on in my car. When a fuel injection cleaning is being done, will that be one of the procedures to clean out the throttle body/intake? What does PMC stand for?
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM
MMPRINCE4000
Fuel injection cleaning is done by removing fuel pump fuse, removing the test port cap at fuel rail and connecting a fuel injection cleaning solution.

Engine is started and runs off the solution until it runs out (4-5 minutes).

You need to isolate the problem, fuel or ignition. Once you know what the problem is, you can then correct it.

If no fuel, for example, it could be fuel pump, filter, injectors, fuel pressure or PCM (Powertrain Control Module), or engine computer.
If engine runs with fuel injection cleaning solution, then problem is fuel related, if not then ignition.

Also, you should disconnect the negative battery cable first, never the positive.
Friday, September 25th, 2009 AT 5:10 AM