2000 Pontiac Grand Am ECM OR PCM

2005SPROUT
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Computer problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a check engine light that keeps coming on and the code was an emission leak. Took to my mechanice and replaced vent solinoid which was bad also replaced gas cap and replaced purge valve. Had to smoke tests done on car and showed no vapor leaks. Reset check engine light with scan tool and light came back on within one week. Same code appeared. Car runs perfectly fine. Mechanic says the only thing it could be would be the ECM unit will not clear for some reason and the only thing he can think of is to replace the ECM. Bought a used same svc # ECM on ebay which was tested and working condition which when I pulled the old ECM out and replaced it with the ECM I had bought car will turn over but not start. Put the old one back in car starts fine. QUESTION IS. How can or what steps must I perform to get this ECM unit I bought to work? Do I have to clear it out and if so how?
Sunday, October 18th, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Most GM PCM's have to be flashed by dealer.

The EVAP system can be tested by dealer or garage with necessary equipment, each solenoid, relay can be tested individually.

To say the PCM is bad without proper testing is a conclusion, not a diagnosis.
Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM

Sponsored links