2000 Pontiac Grand Am

03397036
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
2000 Pontiac Grand Am

my car keeps stalling out while I'm driving. It runs great unless I drive too far or go over 65 mph. It will
start up again after a few minutes. I'm trying to avoid
taking it in for a diagnostic test, since no display lights
come on (check engine soon) etc. Could you recommend anthing to check for. My husband thinks
maybe an ignition system problem.

thank you!

Lynne fox
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 AT 11:49 AM

JIMCOR21645
Hi my name is Jimmy I am having the exact same problem with my grand am 2000. Exactly the same thing happends to mine, I changed my fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter thinking it may be the problem but still happening. I am wondering if my fuel pump may be going bad and cutting off after I run the car for a few miles or go too fast but I am not really thinking its that, and I get no engine light to come on or anything. My car restarts after like 2 min and will go further untill it happens again but always starts back up. I am puzzled on this one.
Thursday, July 17th, 2008 AT 1:53 PM
03397036
Jimmy,
Thank you for your comment. I am replacing the ignition module this week, since many people think
it is electrical. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.

Lynne Fox
Monday, July 21st, 2008 AT 9:14 AM
03397036
We decided to take the car to a pontiac dealer instead of guessing it's the ignition module. It will
probably cost us an arm and a leg but I'll let you know what they find out.
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 AT 7:20 AM
JIMCOR21645
Thanks Lynne. I really appreciate you letting me know what the probelm is when you find out. I was also thinking it could be the ignition control module like you said but I also for some reason think it could be the fuel pump as well.
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 AT 11:07 AM
JIMCOR21645
Lynne I went to AutoZone and took off my Control module to have it tested inside which they will do free of charge, you have to remove the part yourself and take it in. The module passed the test and is good. I am not sure if it may be my fuel pump which I suspect but I don't wish to spend that much money on one and go through all the labor of putting it on if it is not the actual problem. I will let you know something soon if I find out anything else.
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 AT 9:17 PM
03397036
Jimmy,
the dealer is installing a fuel kit- fuel pump, sensor etc. The mechanic drove it the other day and it stalled out and wouldn't start up again. We pick it up
tonight, 750.00. I'll let you know it that fixed the problem.
Friday, July 25th, 2008 AT 7:31 AM
JIMCOR21645
Thanks Lynne I appreciate all the info you have helped with, i'll wait and see what parts the dealer changed out and if it worked for you.
Saturday, July 26th, 2008 AT 5:54 AM
03397036
Jimmy,
They replaced the fuel pump and it's running fine
now. My daughter just called though and said her
check engine light came on. So, I don't know
what's up with that.

Lynne Fox
Tuesday, July 29th, 2008 AT 6:55 AM
JIMCOR21645
Lynne thank you for the info. I ordered the fuel pump online and saved 100 dollars compared to buying it locally at the autoparts store. It should come in by the end of this week hopefully so I can put it on this coming weekend. I should be posting something the first part of next week to see if my engine light or any thing else comes up. Thank you once again for all your feedback.
Tuesday, July 29th, 2008 AT 9:02 AM
JIMCOR21645
My car is finally fixed the problem was the fuel pump. I installed it myself it took me about an hour to do. I ordered the pump on EBAY through an auto store named GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE for 114.00 plus 13.00 ship & handling. Locally I would have paid 240.00 on up. Car runs great now.
Monday, August 4th, 2008 AT 10:32 AM