Crankshaft position sensor

99WHITEGRANDAM
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM

Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

Where is the crankshaft position sensor on my 99 grand am and how do I know if it has a lead wire or not because auto zone said there is a 15 dollar difference in the part if there is a lead wire or not.

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 10:43 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Your vehicle has 2 crankshaft sensors. The 7x CKP sensor runs to the ignition control module and the 24x CKP sensor leads to the main computer. The 24x CKP is the one with a lead wire so you will have to look over the diagram to point out which sensor you are needing replaced..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Graphic_20.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 11:44 PM
TéVIN TIMOY

Can Someone give me the direct location of the crank sensor.1999 pontiac grand am 3.4 l v.6

-2
Monday, September 19th, 2016 AT 9:54 AM
GT HEADACHE

Gt v6 crankshaft sensor on back of the block you can change it by removing the alternator and belt tensioner can't see it but you can feel it use a 10mm tight fit for your arm easiest way I found to do it for access. Used old tire iron between oil pan gap underneath car to work rusted sensor out to a point. Then removed it.

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 AT 7:12 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, May 19th, 2017 AT 12:01 PM