1997 Pontiac Grand Am air compressor cooling fan

ALPHA227
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND AM
One day the ac and cooling fan worked the next it didnt. When I turn the ac on the ac and cooling fan dont kick on like they did b4. I checked the fuses and all ok. Cchanged the relay connected to the front on the car under the hood by the fan still doesnt work. Any sugestions? Thanks in advance for the help
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 6:30 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check engine coolant temperature sensor. If fuse, relay and ECT sensor are good than its either the fan motor itself or the PCM.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 6:45 PM
ALPHA227
How does that effect the ac? Fuses ok. Dont know where relay is for ac compresser. Changed relay on front top of cooling fan but still wont work. Read 1st question again please
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:47 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
You said cooling fan is not coming on when a/c is turned on?
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:49 PM
ALPHA227
Yes but the ac doesnt work either. They both came on when I turned on the ac yesterday but today neither work. They dont click on like yesterday. Where are the relays for the ac? And or coolant fan. Are the both oin same relay. Been told they were? Sorry for any confusion.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 7:59 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Ah sorry about that, long day..

anyway you have one cooling fan relay and one a/c compressor clutch relay. they are both located in the same area but they are 2 separate relays. a diagram is below highlighting each..hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2911.jpg

Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:05 PM
ALPHA227
Could they both go out same time. This all happened after I spraywashed the engine. Worked b4 I did it. Didnt afterwards. I may hav knocked something off. Can a relay be tested? Thanks for diagram.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:16 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Possibly could go bad at same time especially with water being sprayed all over them, I have always scringed when someone says they powewashed their engine. The only way I ever wash the engine is with my hands to ensure I only get the cleaning solvant where I want it to go. You can learn how to test a relay at http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_do_i_check_a_relay.htm
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:18 PM
ALPHA227
Oops. Thanks for the help. I've never had a problem spraywashing an engine. Luckey till now I guess. Thanks so much for your help. Probly have to have it looked at by a pro. U dont live in indy do ya?
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:23 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Nope sorry, im in kentucky
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 8:24 PM
ALPHA227
There are 4 relays right next to eachother. Any way to tell which is ac and coolant fan?
-1
Friday, December 3rd, 2010 AT 7:58 PM