1996 Pontiac Grand Am car is picky starting

NOBRAINS_ATALL
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
1996 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 225k+ miles

sometimes when I get into my car and turn the key to the on position, ill hear a clicking noise from the passanger side close to the dash board. When this happens. The car will not start, it will turn over and sound like it wants to but does not. If I wait anywhere from 10 minutes to a day and try again, it will start perfectly. I have no clue what is wrong with it. I recently replaced the alternator and battery, and I did the head gaskets in the winter of 2006. Any help would be great cause me and my father are dumbfounded.
Thursday, March 27th, 2008 AT 9:22 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Do you have anti-theft?

HAve you tried a different key or is it always the same one?
Thursday, March 27th, 2008 AT 9:30 PM
NOBRAINS_ATALL
Uhm. Yeah I tryed a difrent key. Today I took another look and it seems to be the fuel pump relay. So I tryed switching it for the a/c relay(because my a/c doesnt work neways. And it started no problem. So I got a quote for a new fuel pump relay at my local dealership and its 42$ WTF! Lol.
Friday, March 28th, 2008 AT 7:16 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Cool!

PArt prices can be just downright outrageous. Glad to hear you nailed it anyways. Antitheft systems can be a real pita!
Friday, March 28th, 2008 AT 7:23 PM
NOBRAINS_ATALL
Yeah thanks. I mean im only a 17 year old teenager. So I dont know everything about my car. So im glad that I weas able to find the problem. It seems to be running fine now.I just have to figure out how to adjust the idle now. Lol. My dad sayd there is suposed to be a thing like on brakes for a bicycle to adjust it. But tis not there. Lol. For now I have a pull strap around the throtle body keeping tention on the idle to make sure it doesnt stall while im driving lol
Saturday, March 29th, 2008 AT 1:15 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Don't feel bad.I'm 46 and don't know everything about them either. You sought out to fix and you suceeded, be proud of yourself.

Idle is computer controlled and shouldn't be played with. Does it stall all the time, just when it's warming up? Any other strange performance issues?
Saturday, March 29th, 2008 AT 1:20 PM