1996 Pontiac Grand Am ainti theft? Perhaps?

CNELSON3
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Ok I have a 96 pontiac grand am gt 3.1 v6. Ive had it for a little under a year all is good until now. Ha. Here are the symptoms; previously the car started giving my an intermittent start. Like it would start when it would feel like. My first instinct thought it would be the fuel pump( typically you could hear it humm when the ingnition is in th on position, but now I cant hear. Now my car will not start for anything and I have a check engine light and the anti theft system light but not blinking. Ive checked all fuses and relays by eye ha and all seem to check out. Non are blown or burnt out. The car turns over but wont ignite. Ive done some research and found that gms were notorious for having faulty theft systems with the passlock drama. So I have quite the delima. If the theft siystem is assuming im stealing my own car. Would that stop the fuel pump not to work. Etc? What should I do to fix this? Is there any way to disable the theft system permantly? Is there a way that a gm computer scanner could disable it from the cars computer? Id apprecaite any advice. Thank you

-cody
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 4:03 AM

WRENCHTECH
Your car doesn't have the Passlock system, it has the PassKey system which works differently. The system cannot be completely bypassed or eliminated. It HAS to be operational. I do have a way to bypass the key sensor only which is the most common failure but since your light is not flashing, I don't believe that is the issue for you. Yours has a hard failure in the system somewhere and it will require the use of a Tech2 scan tool to diagnose it. It might be a bad module.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 7:04 AM
CNELSON3
Ok that clears that up. Im a student at uwmilwaukee and was talking to one of my classmates thats had the same issue. He mentioned I could do something with a tech 2 scanner. Something to do with;

"unplugging the harness at the base of the lock cylinder, then hooking up the tech 2, going to the special functions options section under I P then run the 10 min. Relearn After its done leave the harness unplugged start the car and this will program the system leaving the lock cylinder out of the picture. Dont plug it back in. The only downfall is the theft system is no longer there."

so before I even attempt such a task id rather get the opinion of a certified technician. Does this seem logical?

And when you stated module. Are you referring to the ICM? Why would that throw a anti theft light?

I dont want to start throwing money blindly hoping the next fix should be the remedy without knowing for sure. Thank you again.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 7:29 AM