1995 Pontiac Grand Am Thermostat

BUCKWHEATSHONEY
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Heater problem
1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I am wondering if you can help me. I just recently started having problems with my car. My car over heats very quickly, and I have no heat in my car. Right now it is -26 and with in 2-3 minutes of driving, my car is overheated (in the red) What could the problem be, and how do I fix this. My husband thinks it could be the thermostat, but we are not sure
Can you please help me?
Monday, December 10th, 2007 AT 3:48 PM

MERLIN2021
Is the radiator boiling over? Or just the gauge in the rsd? Could be a defective sending unit. Thermostat could be bad if it boils over, loosing coolant. If you have a leak is it going in the red whithout loosing antifreeze? Are the cooling fan(s) on when it 's in the red? Until we solve this, DO NOT drive the car, a warped head or blown head gasket will cost a lot more than anything I have mentioned so far.
Monday, December 10th, 2007 AT 3:54 PM
2CEXPT
If there's no white smoke coming out of the tail pipe after the engine comes up to normal operating temperature. I suggest you test the thermostat its purpose to control engine temperature, if its sticking closed it will prevent coolant from circulating thru out the engine. This will cause the engine to overheat in a few minutes.
Monday, December 10th, 2007 AT 4:00 PM
MERLIN2021
Generally I agree, but in subzero weather make sure the cooling fan works too.
Monday, December 10th, 2007 AT 4:17 PM

Sponsored links