1995 Pontiac Grand Am My car turns over but won't start

DERICKSEN
  • 1995 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Everytime I try to start up my car for the past week it sometimes will start other times won't when it doesn't I can feel when I pump the gas it doesn't flow in every once and awhile when I start it up and it does flow and I try moving it it'll stall out on me it feels like the car's not getting gas into it the fuel filter was replaced yesterday and the fuel injector was replaced 3 weeks ago but this problem just started about 8-10 days ago and this is really bugging me after awhile it will usually start up if I let it sit, iv waited between 30-60 minutes and it will start up but still have the fuel barely going through, Every time I've gotten it to start up I move the car back and fourth and then let it sit come back and it starts up fine but this morning I tried starting it up, it did fine but I could feel the fuel not going in and it stalled out on me, I tried for about an hour to get it to go. Nothing when I came home about 4:00 today im thinking it might start up I try and nothing I moved it and still nothing. Also, If I leave it in park for about 5 minutes the engine light comes on or when I'm going down the road and not pressing on the gas, but when I put it into drive it'll turn off and while i'm driving I have to turn it off and restart it to get the light to turn off. Any Ideas? Thanks.
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 3:57 PM

TWOSTEPPER
When the problem occurs, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If that is ok, use a gage and check fuel pressure. If your fully obd1 compliant, I'd have to look, you should be able to access mil codes, yourself.
+1
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
DERICKSEN
I had my brother check it and it sparked back and fourth through all of the spark plugs how would I know if they're out if they're rusted? Because one of them is. I talked to the person who sold me the car and he said it could be the battery because it's pretty old and he's going to replace it, and could it possibly be the fuel pump?
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 5:34 PM
DERICKSEN
Hmm well I checked my car and he replaced the battery this morning while I was sleeping, still no luck starting it up I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump but I'm not quite sure any other suggestions?
+1
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 2:20 PM
MATHIASO
Hello Dericksen

Scan the pcm for code(s), because there is engine light, there is probably code and come back.
If the problem is fuel related, a lean code should be there.
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 7:58 PM
DERICKSEN
Is there a way to figure out the code with out having to pay for towing and then another 75$ to figure out the code?
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 8:59 PM
MATHIASO
Hello Dericksen
some pre1995 are OBDI and some late 95 are OBDII compliant.it should be a sticker under the hood.
let make it simple,
run a jumper wire or paper clip between A and B

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_obd1pinout2_1.gif

Next turn your key on but don't start. Watch your check engine flash the code/s.
EXAMPLE: CODE 12: one long flash and two short flashes
CODE 13: one long flash and 3 short flashes.
If you make mistake reading the codes,my diagnosis will also be wrong.
Tell me what you got?
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 8:31 AM
DERICKSEN
Hmm I looked all over under my hood and under the dash I'm not seeing it anywhere I'm going to double check but im not seeing it anywhere would the be a specific place? And I'm not exactally sure if it's a newer or older one.

EDIT: I double checked everywhere still couldn't find it any idea where else it could be?
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 11:19 AM
MATHIASO

Front seating area, driver side, under dash, mounted above brake pedal
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 1:18 PM
DERICKSEN
Well that's where I searched and here's what I found there's just some wires in those two pull down parts and the diagnostics connection

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/510510_Diagnostic_connection_and_panels_1.jpg

Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 2:16 PM
MATHIASO

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_510510_Diagnostic_connection_and_panels_1_1.jpg

connect paper clip or jumper wire , follow the instruction above and come back with result.
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 2:38 PM
DERICKSEN
Tried it and nothing happen I took the picture up side down but I also tried it in every other hole and nothing just the seat belt light flashed about 45 times because I wasn't wearing it.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 1:42 PM
MATHIASO
Hello Dericksen

Don't worry if the connector is not working, I'll help you find out the problem anyway.
. Have someone start the car while you listen to the fuel pump.
Open the fuel filer neck and listen. You should hear a buzzing sound.
Let me know what you heard.
Tuesday, April 6th, 2010 AT 7:43 AM
DERICKSEN
Well the guy who sold me my car came over yesterday with a fuel pump after a couple of hours we got it replaced this morning because we accidentally broke a fuel line but got that replaced, after about ten minutes we got it started up, I shook and wabbled for awhile which i'm guessing is the gas going through the car, I drove it down to the gas station it was pretty slow but I got it there put some in came back home and turned it off about ten minutes later I turned it on and it was perfect except for one thing the connector to the muffler fell off which isn't too big of a deal besides the fact that it sounds like I'm firing off a gun, but the starting up problem is fixed now and I have a friend who's an expert welder who's going to come over later today to reattach it, thanks for the help.
Thursday, April 8th, 2010 AT 2:07 PM
MATHIASO
Hello Dericksen

I'm glad you got it fixed.
Thank you for your donation and for visiting 2CarPros. Com we hope to help you again the next time you need us
Friday, April 9th, 2010 AT 1:56 AM